How to Remove a Car Battery
Your car’s battery is important in a variety of ways. It keeps the car running, helps power all the electrical components, and benefits the overall health of your car. When it comes time to remove or replace your battery, be sure to follow a few simple tips from the Honda North service center to avoid hurting yourself!
Batteries need to be powerful enough to power a car, so they can be deadly if not properly handled. Start by making sure you wear insulated gloves. You should also be wearing safety goggles to protect your eyes. Turn of your car before starting, and then:
- Get some zip ties or other form of restraint to keep the battery cables in their proper place. If they touch, it create sparks and become a fire hazard, so preventing them from touching is important.
- Cover the positive cable end with a cloth once it is removed to avoid the risk of metal-to-metal contact.
- Take off any jewelry — including necklaces, watches, and bracelets — to prevent getting a shock if they come in contact with the battery.
- Ensure you’re in a well-ventilated area to prevent exposure to harmful gases.
If you discover that the terminal is fused, be sure to use a special battery cable removal so you don’t injure yourself. You can find these from most parts departments.
Once you’ve properly prepared, follow these steps to safely remove your battery:
- Find the negative terminal. It should have a black plastic cover or a minus sign and will be located either on the post or in close proximity.
- Take hold of the bolt head of the negative terminal with a wrench or pliers and hold it still.
- Use other pliers or wrench to remove the nut, then pull off the negative cable and secure it away from the battery.
- Repeat the above step for the positive cable, taking care that the two battery cables do not touch
- If the battery is held by a securing bracket, use your pliers or wrench to take out the screws and bolts that hold it in place.
- Lift the battery straight out of the bracket. Keep in mind that it may weigh up to 40 pounds.
Find Out More About Removing a Car Battery With Honda North
For more information on safely removing a car battery, visit the experts at Honda North! Contact us today to make a service appointment and for other service tips like how to repair dents and scratches!